Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Postmistress

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake is holding steady on the bestsellers list, and I'm going to tell you a little secret. I read it about a month ago, and didn't post anything, because well... I think it sucked. That's not fair, even as I typed it I thought it was unfair. It didn't suck. It just wasn't very good. In my book pretty much exclusively apparently. Now, the thing is, every single other person I know in the book industry who has read it loved. All of them. A few of which I consider to be infallible sources of good reading material. It's the story of a small town during WWII and three different women. The characters were okay... But just okay. The story line was interesting, I guess, but the ending was completely implausible. I gave this book to a coworker at school, and she didn't like it very much either, but I could have been influencing her opinion by handing it to her and saying something like "it sucked, please read this and tell me why people love it."
Anyway, if you want to read it, I have a copy you can borrow, just ask. And explain to me why it's great...

No comments: