Sunday, July 25, 2010

Kings of the Earth

Finally I have read a book that is actually out! Jon Clinch (author of Finn, did you read Finn? I think I told you to read Finn) just came out with Kings of the Earth. His latest novel, only his second, is wonderful. It follows three men who live on a dairy farm in upstate New York (I think, Clinch lets his characters alternate to tell the story, and since I don't know much about farming or Upstate New York, I might be wrong), their neighbors, parents, brother in law, sister, nephew and the local police. All of these characters take turns telling the story of these strange and backwards men. There is a little bit of a mystery to it, but as with Finn, it's the characters that make it interesting. This time, instead of creating one completely fascinating less than honorable character, he has created a whole cast of characters, some honorable, some not so much, all nuanced with their own voice. If you like really great characters, and talented authors who can create completely individual characters, read this. If you have a Nook, I can lend it to you, once I figure out that feature!

No comments: