Sunday, August 17, 2008

A Lion Among Men

Gregory Maguire is a favorite of mine, as I've mentioned.  I loved Wicked, Mirror Mirror and Confessions of an ugly Step sister.  I didn't love Son of a Witch, though it was occasionally recommended just so I could say the title often.  Mine is an often adolescent sense of humor.    A Lion among Men (another great title), is the third in the Wicked Years series.  After this one, I'm hoping he doesn't stop at a trilogy.  Who doesn't want to read about how the Scarecrow came into power in Oz, or what Emperor Shell is going to do?  How about that Munchkin uprising?  Right, might just be me.  I don't think you need to read Son of a Witch to really enjoy this novel, though you must read Wicked (on principal, you won't be able to follow the story even if you've seen the musical a dozen times).  It follows the Cowardly Lion...  I mean of course Brrr, Sr. Brrr if you want to be technical, since Lady Glinda gave him a title after the Dorothy incident.  Brrr, middle aged and cranky, is tasked with finding out about Elphaba's book, the Grimmerie, and, if possible, about her possible son Liir (from Son of a Witch).  
   Anyway, it's funny, sweet and interesting throughout.  Brrr is a great character, and as always Maguire's writing is awesome.  Read Wicked, and then read this.  Seriously.

No comments: