Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Story of Edward Sawtelle

David Wroblewski.  This was the best book of the summer in my opinion.  It helps that the author seemed like a super nice guy when I met him, and that his book involves dogs.  I'm not a fan of recommending books on the best sellers list (this books has been on for a number of weeks and I hope it stays up there), especially at the book store, it feels like an easy recommendation.  I don't like the customers thinking I've just given them whatever was at hand.  But in this case, I've recommended it a dozen times, and talked all of them into buying it since it went up.  It's an amazing coming of age tale about a boy in Wisconsin.  Edward's family breeds and trains dogs, Sawtelles, and he has grown up in the family business.  When his father dies suddenly teenaged Edward finds himself hip deep in a Hamlet style plot.  I only spent about ten pages wondering which character was Ophelia, once you get into story, it's hard to think about anything but Edward and his dogs.  
  This is a book for anyone who likes good fiction, dogs, Hamlet, or looking smart on the train (it's very long, though it doesn't feel it).  Absolutely the best book of the summer.  And I've read a lot this summer. 

No comments: