Monday, October 26, 2009

The Eyre Affair

The Eyre Affair is the first of Jasper Fforde's series of Thursday Next books, and it's one of my favorites ever. Thursday Next is a police woman of sorts in a fantastic version of England in the 80s. I say fantastic because the entire world is obsessed with literature! It's a wonderfully complicated book that is as difficult to explain as it is to put down. Thursday gets involved hunting down master criminal Hades Acheron (oh read it, there is a part where Hades' brother Styx is calling people who have put out advertisements to sell their car, and I had missed it every time I had read it before, but this time I was laughing for a half an hour). And when Thursday's uncle finds a way to go into books, or bring characters out, Thursday is tasked with keeping Jane Eyre safe. It's awesome!
Okay, now I have to reread the Book Thief for Book club in two weeks! It's really long...

No comments: