Sunday, October 11, 2009

Juliet Naked

Thank goodness. Nick Hornby is back. Did you love High Fidelity, adore About a Boy (or just really like the John Cusack or Hugh Grant movies), but hate How to be Good and the Long Way Down (I think that's what the last one was called, it was so bad I won't look it up on Amazon like I normally would)? Does dry British wit entertain you? Because then you should read Juliet Naked. Okay, I'm going to give my manager credit, he was right, the ending wasn't great, though I can't think of how it should have ended that would have made it better... Annie is living with a loser boyfriend she's not really in love with, and dumps him when he cheats on her. Her loser boyfriend, Duncan, is obsessed with Tucker Crowe a formerly popular singer/songwriter. Through a fairly convoluted series of events, Annie starts e-mailing Tucker, and then Tucker and his 6 year old show up in Annie's tiny sea side English town. Whatever, the plot can plod along, the characters can be completely aimless in life, and I will still love Hornby's humor. Now onto the John Shors book I haven't read yet, or my friend Shawn's book. Shit, I mean, I'm going to finish Jane Eyre this time.

No comments: