Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Sarah's Key

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay is just the latest in a string of WWII books I've been reading lately. I don't know why there is that theme in my reading, but it's there. I'm going to try to read mammoth books by my favorite authors for the month of December (Stephen King and Edward Rutherfurd put out huge tomes the last month or so). Sarah's key is about a young girl in France during, you guessed it, WWII. It details the French police's rounding up of Parisian Jews and sending them to Auschwitz. The story also follows an American in Paris in 2002 as she discovers that the apartment she and her family are about to move into has more history than they knew. I liked this book a lot, though the people who said it would make me cry were off the mark. I've had this book forever, but I lent out my ARC, and it only recently made it's way back to me, so many of you have probably already read it. I found it interesting and well written, but I'm not sure I understand why it's been so hugely popular. Thoughts?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I thought the book was too predictable. You knew she was going to leave her cheating husband especially when she found out she was pregnant. Then, again, no surprise that of course, the baby would be named Sarah. You will notice that the baby was alluded to quite a bit after she was born but her name remained a secret until she met Sarah's son for the last time. And, you knew that was going to happen otherwise her life was not going to be complete. However, I did not know about this horrific tragedy that took place during WWII in Paris. That was very intersting and obviously very sad. I would recommend the book just for that purpose.