Monday, June 15, 2009

BEA Saturday and Sunday

  The rest of BEA was fun, though a little slow.  There were fewer good authors on Saturday and Sunday than on Friday, and I never even used my tickets for the 'most famous' authors for Saturday.  Of course, Kate DiCamillo is great, but more than an hour in line for her new kids book?  Thanks, I'll borrow it when it comes in.  But there were some books I'm excited about.  Dan Choan signed his new one, Michael Malone (a nice man, quiet a talker though), Alan Furst and others.  Eileen Goudge must have signed for hours!  We went to get someone else, came back and she was still signing!  Her new one looks good, and not just because she signed for almost two hours, and they gave away her new paperback (seriously publishers, listen to this, I am pushing Eileen Goudge because she was nice, and because I got her book).  James Ellroy, who was yelling people in front of us, one for not wanting a personalization, and the other for having tatoos, was a little scary, or just crazy.  Elin Hildebrand was very nice, and I liked the tote back they gave out with her cover on it (they also gave out the advanced reader of the new one).   Sunday, Richard Russo was the favorite, and the only one I was really looking for, though I also got the 'new Stephen King' Shane somebody (which I will read soon and review it).  The rest of the Sunday was spent wandering around and being annoyed there wasn't more.  
The show was great, though I missed the publishers giving out a ton of new books, and the authors weren't very good.  The best part of the trip though, were the musicals we saw after walking around for hours.  We saw Guys and Dolls, and then Billy Elliot and Hair.  Billy Elliot was amazing, the best musical I've seen possibly ever.  And Hair was awesome!  Those hippies really can sing!  I love New York, and we drove by Citifield (new home of the Mets) on the way to the airport after wandering around Central Park all afternoon on Sunday (and no, despite what US weekly seems to indicate, I didn't see Hugh Jackman or Jon Stewart in Central Park that afternoon, though the weather was perfect, I was a little disappointed).
   Hopefully next years author lists will be better, and Harper won't decide to mostly hand out electronic books (I've finished three books since we left, I'm on page 2 of the first electronic book I've started, I'm not sure I'm a fan of the medium).
  Hopefully the books from BEA will all be as great as the three I've already finished, which I'll write about now...

No comments: