Friday, June 26, 2009

The Story of a Marriage

The Story of a Marriage by Andrew Sean Greer is a book I read right when it came out (Greer was at BookExpo in New York two years ago), but which I had to reread recently because Barnes and Noble has started a book club, and the first one is tonight, and we are talking about this book. As we were discussing which book to pick, I realized that while I remembered reading it, and meeting the author, who seems great, I don't at all remember this book. Certain surprises in the narrative were surprising even during my rereading of it, which I enjoyed. It's the story of Pearlie and Holland and their life in 1953 San Francisco, and what happens when Holland's old friend Buzz shows up. It's a great book, full of interesting characters, Pearlie especially is a strong female character whom I really enjoyed. Read it, it's not long, and if you want to discuss it, Friday June 26th at 7:30pm at the Barnes and Noble in Vernon Hills.

No comments: